Explosion, Fire in Mesa County Sheriff’s Office

25 Jul

Surely an accident, but…

abc7NEWS:

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. — The Grand Junction Fire Department was called to a fire that broke out at the Mesa County Sheriff’s Office early Friday morning.

The caller told the fire department that a malfunctioning battery had exploded inside a sergeant’s office. The battery was in a charger on a desk.

A deputy tried to control the fire using a fire extinguisher but was not successful. He then evacuated the room and confined the fire by closing the door, allowing the sprinkler system to control the fire, the Grand Junction Fire Department said.

No other area of the building was evacuated.

When firefighters arrived, just after 2 a.m., they found light smoke and water coming from the sheriff’s station.

Crews made entry into the room using air packs and discovered that the sprinkler system was controlling the fire.

However, only one sprinkler head was needed to control the fire. So crews attempted to control the water by putting a wooden wedge in the head. Water pressure was so significant that crews had to shut down the system to stop water flow at the head.

A second engine was called to help clean up the water in the area and protect the building from further damage.

Damage due to the fire is estimated at $50,000 — $100,000 damage to the structure and $40,000 in the contents.

There were no injuries. The sprinkler system has been repaired and reactivated.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/20170235/detail.html

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: